Monday, January 26, 2009

Mike and Alyssa's Visit

Mike, Alyssa, and I had a great week in London, Oxford, and Canterbury. On Saturday and Sunday we were in London, doin' the whole walking tourist bit. Not sure I'll ever get tired of that city. Definitely already tired of the pigeons there though. Those little guys are scary!

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we spent in Oxford, and man was it fun! I was a little wary at first, because Oxford is a pretty intimidating place. I mean, everyone there is supposedly super smart and super rich. But after a while you just go with it and it's really cool. It also seemed more "British" than anywhere else I've been so far. Lots of old academic buildings, cobble-stone streets, striped scarves, and many, many pubs. We got to see a couple of the older colleges there (including the one where they filmed part of the Harry Potter movies), the town museum, a cool covered market, and one of the most cavernous bookstores I've ever see. I think that place had something on the order of 3 kilometers of shelving--in just ONE room. Crazy! And on Tuesday we watched the presidential inauguration on TV. It was super fun, even if there was a collective horrified gasp when the oath went a bit...differently.

Thursday was my first day of class, and despite a small freak-out about my schedule, it went really well. My classes this term seem even better than last term. I've got The Archaeology of Britain in the First Millennium B.C., and Roman and Medieval Artefacts. For the artefacts (I know, silly British spelling) class I get to go to the local museum every week and do a hands-on lab. We had to buy white cotton gloves to handle the artefacts, so I felt like a real pro. I can't wait to get a few lectures under my belt and really get into the topics. Interesting stuff!

Thursday night and Friday I got to show Mike and Alyssa around Canterbury, which was really fun for me--and for them too, I hope! I think they especially liked the Cathedral. Sadly, they had to take off on Saturday morning, but I think we all had a pretty awesome time!

Mike and Alyssa's Visit

No comments: