Sunday, March 8, 2009

Flat Dinners and Fire Alarms

Not a causal relationship, I assure you.

Last night we had a lovely group dinner in the flat. Valentina made lasagna and Gabby made buchty, which is a traditional Czech desert. It's basically dumplings with jam inside. It was delicious!

Later that night we were all rudely awakened, however, by the fire alarm going off at 3:30 in the morning. For a minute I thought I was dreaming, but no such luck. So we all trooped outside and stood in the courtyard for half an hour while they checked the flats and turned the alarm off. Then we went inside and back to bed. But THEN! At 5:30, the fire alarm went off again, and we had to go through the whole rigmarole a second time. Nobody was very happy about it, as you might imagine.

As for some positive news, I got my paper about Scottish architecture done and turned in last week, so I've spent the weekend doing productive things like reading about Andean pottery. Yeah, I really did.

No comments: