Sunday, September 21, 2008

Day One

Well, I made it! I left the house yesterday at 3:00 p.m. and arrived at Kent's campus today at about 12:30 p.m. I think it really hit me on the plane ride over that yes, I really am going to be studying in another country for 10 months. And it was difficult at first, adjusting to the new campus and the new people. But I think I've made some good progress so far, however small--I figured out the bus routes and went down to the city centre (look, English spelling!) to buy some bedding for my room, and I don't get quite as confused now when people say they're "at uni." The driving on the left side of the road thing still freaks me out occasionally, though.

I got a chance to walk a little ways into campus, and it's very pretty, with lots of trees and greenery. Plus, they have signs that point you in the direction of certain buildings, which was very helpful. So today and tomorrow are all about getting settled in my room and having a look around campus. And of course, getting rid of the jet lag. Overall, it's been tiring but really exciting!

Here are a couple pictures of my room. It's actually much more spacious than I thought it would be!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Congrats on a safe arrival and welcome to the blogosphere. I look forward to reading about your experiences in the months to come.

ps. For a taste of home: as I write, A & O are glued to the tv watching a movie, M is taking a bottle, D is in the kitchen doing home improvement and Uncle M is upstairs painting the hallway. I'll pass around your blog post when we clean up from the day and settle in for dinner.

solocommand said...

Hooray! :)

OC Blog said...

That Purdue Monkey looks right at home in Canterbury, England. Perhaps he grew up in an English community.

Love ya,
D

OC Blog said...

That Purdue Monkey looks right at home in Canterbury, England. Perhaps he grew up in an English community.

Love ya,
D