Sunday, September 28, 2008

Leeds Castle


The university sponsored a trip to Leeds castle today, which turned out to be an awesome trip. It took about 40 minutes to get there by bus, much better than the 2 hours it took me to get to Dover the other day. The grounds of Leeds Castle were really gorgeous. There were tons of acres of grass and little hills and flowers. And tons of ducks! They had, I kid you not, a duckery. A duckery! That's what the sign said and everything.

The castle itself wasn't bad, but it was rather modern; it has been remodeled and updated several times over the centuries, so a lot of the interior doesn't look very castle-y anymore. Plus, there were about a hundred other people from the group crammed in there too, and we did the awkward slow-shuffle-forward for the whole tour. Though I have to say that the outside of the castle was still really impressive, and I got lots of pictures of it reflected in the water surrounding it.

After taking the tour through the inside of the castle, we got to roam around the grounds on our own. I saw vineyards, stumbled my way through a hedge maze, went into an underground grotto lit up with technicolor lights, and even watched a falconry demonstration. I got a few short video clips from the falconry demonstration too.

Leeds Castle
Falconry Demonstration

2 comments:

Beth said...

After reading this I'm starting to see castles in my sleep - from all the way here in Wisconsin, hahaha. Great pictures, great stories. That falconry demonstration is just too cool!

Aunt Kathy B. said...

Oh, the places you will go!

Love the pictures and blog.

Keep up the good work.

Love,
Aunt Kathy B.