Thursday, October 2, 2008

First Week of Class

My first week of classes here at the university went well. The Greek and Roman medicine class looks like it'll be much more interesting than I had originally thought, and my museum class should be pretty great as well. I'm supposed to visit the British Museum in London and give a presentation about it, so hopefully in a few weeks' time I'll have some great pictures from that. I've noticed though, that university here feels quite different than college at home. A lot more individual study is required, and no one really tells you what specific things you should be reading at any given time. That's both good and bad, because while they don't have any busy-work or pop quizzes, you do have to be really motivated to keep reading on your own. I think it'll be a great experience though.

Other than that, there's not much new to report this week. On Tuesday I went down to the city center again and picked up a coffee maker and a watch, so now I'll be both alert and on time for class. :) I also got a library card for the public library here, which is small but nice. The library also has British shows on DVD, so I can watch those and not have to pay the $240 TV license fee to watch live television. And on Tuesday night I checked out the university's sci-fi club, which was very cool. (Didn't take long for my nerd side to surface, did it?)

That's about it. 'Til next time!

No comments: