Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Museums, Museums

I decided to be productive and do a little exploration today, so I went to the Canterbury Museum and the Roman Museum. The Canterbury Museum was very nice--it's housed in a medieval building known as the Poor Priests' Hospital. It really focused on how the town of Canterbury has really changed over the centuries, from a pre-Roman town, to a Roman town, to a town under Norman rule, to a medieval town, and so on.

The Roman Museum is actually underground, which was cool. You go down one flight of stairs, then you walk through the exhibits, part of which is a glassed-in area where you can see parts of a Roman house-floor that archaeologists excavated. There are also a lot of hands-on replicas of pottery and building materials. It's always kind of cool to see museum exhibits where you're encouraged to, rather than prohibited from, touching objects on display.

I know it's still a bit early for this, but I've already gotten into the Christmas spirit. I bought a mini fake Christmas tree for our flat yesterday (I won't put it up until at least after Thanksgiving, though) and some festive lights. I've strung the lights along the top of my bookshelves in my room, and it looks very cool. I haven't started singing Christmas carols though. Yet.

No comments: