Friday, May 1, 2009

Family! Battleships! Stonehenge!

What a great week! My parents and my aunt and uncle came to visit, and we all had a fantastic time. It was really great to see more family again! We toured London, visited Canterbury, and even got to see Stonehenge and the town of Salisbury. So we saw the sights, had plenty of fish and chips, and even managed to watch a little football. Along with getting to see my parents again, I was particularly excited to finally see Stonehenge. It was pretty awesome, lemme just say. :D I took about a million pictures of it, but I couldn't help it. And the neighboring town of Salisbury was really cool too. We visited the Cathedral there, which has the tallest medieval spire in Europe, and something like the 4th tallest in the world.

In London we also got to go aboard the HMS Belfast, which is a military cruiser permanently anchored on the Thames. I had a lot of fun climbing around the ship from the engine rooms below the waterline to the admiral's quarters on top.

It was hard to watch everybody drive off to the airport at the end of the visit, but I'm consoled by the fact that I'll be home in about a month and a half. How time flies! In the meantime, enjoy the copious pictures of Stonehenge and the surrounding countryside! (All those yellow plants in the fields are canola plants, by the way.)

Salisbury and Stonehenge

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Salisbury's spire is also considered to be a "miracle spire" because, due to the land it's built on (near the river on loose stone) and the lack of strong foundations (the spire was built after the church and the foundations weren't deepened from what was lain for just the building) it ought to fall down, but doesn't? Under the spire there's a little hole and every day they test to see how much water is under the church, and if it's above a certain level they have to evacuate the building.

Yes, I am a Salisbury Cathedral nerd- we studied "The Spire" by William Golding in my last year of school and we had a pretty massively indepth tour of the place.

Can't believe you're goin' home so soon! I'll miss you dude!

-Helen

Sarah O said...

I can't wait to see you this summer!!!